The following aims and objectives of AWMR have evolved over the years in order to better meet the individual needs of people with mental retardation within the complexities of modern society.
- To provide integrated, individualized and properly adapted special education to individuals with mental retardation.
- To provide meaningful employment and other forms of vocational opportunities.
- To educate the community on the preventive aspects of mental retardation and to make people conscious of their roles and responsibilities relating to people with mental retardation.
- To work as the recognized advocacy organization for persons with mental retardation.
- To implement rehabilitation programs in collaboration with persons with mental retardation and their families.
- To identify persons throughout Nepali who have mental retardation and to determine and meet their individual needs.
- To advocate for social, economic and legal protection with mental retardation.